9.29.2009

1. Kogi BBQ Truck

September 26, 2009


DO believe the hype.

It seemed only fit to begin my adventure with the most prolific of the food trucks. So while home this past Saturday afternoon, when I got my first Kogi Tweet informing me that they were not at all far from me, I immediately hopped in the car and headed to Wilshire and Crescent Heights to find the truck in a parking lot, with almost no line. Hooray!

I ordered their signature dish, the Korean Short Rib Taco ($2) and the Kogi Sliders ($5). I know it was my first food truck and, obviously, my first Korean-Mexican "Kogi experience" - so I had not much to draw from - but this was unlike anything I had tasted before. And it was divine. 


The short rib, stuffed into corn tortillas (or the slider buns), is served with shredded cabbage, and a relish of scallions, cilantro, soy, sesame seeds and citrus is an unexpected meld of rich, tangy, sweet and savory. The meat is tender and succulent. It's Korean. It's Mexican. It's Californian. It's perfect. 

I can't wait to return to, eventually, try everything on the menu.

1 comment:

  1. I also first tried Kogi about 3 weeks ago on a Saturday night in Encino at 11 pm...my first taste was the Black Jack quesadilla...after the first bite...I totally GOT IT!

    I'm still making my way through the menu...slowly, very slowly...love the Korean short rib tacos...they had a special a couple of weeks ago...the Pastrami-Kimchi melt with persimmon and arugula...an amazing mix of savory, sweet, and salty...yum!

    ReplyDelete